Below is a list of the most common problems and solutions. Most error messages described below are caused by SmartGuard protection game servers from use of software that could cause harm to other players in the game. We do our best to illiminate suttiations when ligitimate players have difficulties running the game.
Error starting game: CDEF0001
Debugger mode enabled on your Windows OS. Read more.
Error starting game: CDEF000C
You need to install some Windows OS updates in order for SmartGuard to function correctly. Read more.
Error starting game: CDEF0008 or CDEF000A
To run SmartGuard on a your gaming computer, you must disable the Windows "Test mode". Test mode is a special Windows state which allows you to download and run Windows kernel mode programs without the Microsoft digital signature. How to disable.
Error starting game: CDEF0010 or CDEF0007
SmartGuard detects that your Windows kernel image is modified. Such changes are most often found on 32-bit versions of Windows and can be a sign of a virus or rootkit. We suggest you check your PC with up-to-date antivirus software or re-install your Windows. Read more.
Blocked loading of file 'XXX'
You will not get banned for any of these messages. They also do not mean that SmartGuard is searching through files on your system that are not related to the game. The message means the game process tried to load this file, that is the reason it is being checked.
If these messages do not cause problems with the game, you can just ignore them. Protection can be quite strict, which can lead to blocking of certain files that are not essential for the game.
If the game still does not run, try this list of possible solutions:
- Scan your system with latest antivirus software. Malware that modifies system or game files, can cause such problems.
- Make sure that the game directory has no files d3d9.dll, dxgi.dll or dsound.dll. If there is, delete/rename them.
- Check the system files for faults and repair them using these guides: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833 and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
- Root certificates on your system can be damaged/corrupted. To fix them, download and install the following update from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2813430
- Searching the name of the blocked file on the Internet can also help to find out what really is behind it. Sometimes SmartGuard can block viruses and other unwanted software that can cause problems, such as inability to connect to the server in the game. We recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to remove such software from your system.
- Make sure you are not using modified system files (e.g.: custom Windows themes or DirectX). Reinstall DirectX, see the following page for more information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113.
- Proxy programs and other similar software (such as adware) that intercept all network connections in the system may be incompatible with SmartGuard. Their removal and TCP/IP reset may be required for game to run correctly. Uninstall this software, if this does not help follow a guide from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
If you are sure that SmartGuard is blocking legitimate files and creates problems for your game, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org